dense breast tissue
I have been told that I have dense breast tissue...I have no children..does this put me at increased risk of breast cancer?  I know that young women tend to have dense breast and the density decreases with age...however, I am 38..is that still considered young?  I have had 1 biopsy and three needle aspirations...results were mostly cyst and a couple adenomas.   I have concerned with having too much mammo...and having biopsy/needle aspiration t has been shown to increase your risk.  I have had 4 mammos in the last 5 years...all in all:  38, no children,dense breast tissues, 4 mammos, 1 breast biopsy and 3 needle aspirations.  My doctor wants to have yearly mammo but I am not sure I want to do this.  My questions:  could my dense tissue become less dense?  Do I sound like I have high risk factors?  Do needle aspiratons increase my risk?  Should I still continue to have annual mammo?  thank you so much
oh gosh! I hope that there isn't an increased risk!  I had a chocolate cyst removed at age 30, 4 needle biopsies and, 1 infected cyst lanced last week.  I'm extremely dense and fibrocystic, the density has been increasing over the past 20 years.  I've been told to have a yearly mammo with an ultrasound follow-up, which I have been doing for last 20 years.  I hope that someone with more knowledge lets us know that there isn't an increased risk.
Dense fibrocystic breasts make readings more difficult.   I have had the same issue along with cysts that ruptured.  I have had mams since I was 35 due to high risk family history.  At age 50, I am told that my breasts are still very dense.
I am glad that I continued to have mams because neither my doctor or I felt my lump.  My mam saved my life.
Needle aspirations may have caused some scarring that makes readings more difficult but I have never heard that the aspiration raises risk.
Talk to your doctor about your concerns.  Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take with your health.

This would mean that you have non-uniformly dense breast tissue.

Such densities make the mammogram difficult to read or to palpate a definite lump on physical exam. The dense tissue makes it more likely that a cancer might be missed. An ultrasound or MRi is done in such cases in case of any suspicious lesion or anything abnormal on breast examination.

The density finding itself is not a risk factor for breast cancer; many women have these changes.

Have you noticed any abnormal features on breast self examination like a breast lump, nipple discharge or skin changes?

These are managed with regular breast self examinations and periodic clinical breast examinations by your physician and 6 monthly or yearly mammograms and ultrasound.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about what your doctor advises.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Regards.

Im scared too. I just got a call from my doctor and I have to go back in 6 months. Dence area in left breast, should I worry?