Breast Cancer Community
diagnosed calcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

diagnosed calcifications

I just had a thyroid biopsy done a couple of months ago. Now, because of a mamogram (mammogram) showing calcifications, my Dr. wants to do a stereotactic biopsy. I have had 3 major surgeries in the last 2 years and am pretty dang tired of the probing and needles. If I get a negative for cancer result, are the just going to want to do more tests, or can I trust I don't have cancer if it comes back neg.? And, what are the chances of the needle from the biopsy, leaving a trail of cancer through my breast?
I  had the stereotatic needle biopsy a year ago as my mammogram
showed that I had "calcifications of a suspicious origin" in my right breast.
A local anesthetic is used; so, you feel nothing... except for a bit of pressure
fom the needle being probed. A microscopic chip is then inserted where the
biopsy specimen is removed. It's essentially a marker that remains, in place, for
the rest of your life and will always appear in future mammograms. I had a surgical
biosy 3 years ago in almost the exact same location; so, I can say that the
stereotactic process is a far less invasive. And, the biopsy results are as
conclusive as a surgical one. The only reason why I had to have the surgical biopsy
was because my calcifications were located in an area where the needle couldn't
reach. Thankfully, both of these biopsy returned negative (benign).
I doubt seriously that the needle probe could cause Cancer spread. There is, however,
a very slight chance for infection as would be the case with any similar procedure.
At worse, you'll be left with a tiny puncture scar that'll be barely noticeable.
By the way, according to my surgeon... calcifications are rarely, if ever, Cancerous.
It's the surrounding tissue, where they appear that is of concern to doctors.
Good Luck!
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is all new to me, and I have to admit a little scary! I am scheduled for a MRI a week from Tues. and then they will schedule the Sterotactic biopsy for a couple of weeks after that, I guess to wait for results from the MRI. I appreciate your info.