do I need to take tamoxifen
I have finished cemo for Invasive DCIS breast cancer.  I also have had a bilateral mastectomy.  It is sugested that I should take tamoxifen for five years.  I don't understand why I would need to take a medicene for breast cancer when I have had my breast tissue on both breasts removed. I would think it logical that I could not get breast cancer again. I am confused.
Facts: I am 37 with no history of breast cancer in my family.  I am neg. for BRCA. my cancer was ERposs.
Tamara37
Hi there.

Though your breast are already removed, it is still a possibility that cancer can occur in other organs, these are called metastasis.  Also, cancers in young patients (pre-menopausal) tend to be more aggressive than their post-menopausal counterparts.  Taking tamoxifen for five years after the chemotherapy can prolong your disease-free survival (life without recurrence of cancer).  This drug is usually given and is effective for ER + patients.  I strongly suggest you discuss the pros and cons of tamoxifen with your oncologist.  One con being the inability to be pregnant during the treatment.

Hope this helps.  Regards and God bless...