Breast Cancer Community
drainage tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

drainage tube

I had a lumpectomy 4 weeks ago tomorrow.  I had a drainage tube for 4 days.  It stopped up after two days. Since the drainage tube was removed I have had bleeding everyday from the place where the tube was.  One time it stopped for a few days and then it opened again and there was lots of blood.  Is this normal?
Tags: drainage
1 Comment
I certainly wouldn't say it was normal .... I would suggest that you contact your Surgeon about this as there could be some infectuous process going on but at the very least there shouldn't be this constant production of blood. Another thought is that the tube (as you stated) actually did stop up and there remains a hematoma in the area that continues to drain.    Regards ....