Breast Cancer Community
enlarged lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

enlarged lymph nodes

My doctor has referred me to a breast surgeon after discovering enlarged left axillary lymph nodes.  The earliest the surgeon can see me is in 4 weeks.  Is this a reasonable amount of time to wait or should I find another surgeon.  
Hi.
How old are you?
Aside from the left axillary lymph node, can you feel any lump/s in your breast?
Have you had a mammography or breast ultrasound?
While waiting for your check-up, it is very important to observe any change in the size of the axillary lymph nodes.  Note also if there will be increase in number.  The breast specialist may request for several examinations in order to have a definite diagnosis.
Good luck.

I also have an enlarged left axillary lymph node. I've always felt them for many years, they would come and go, I saw a doctor awhile back for this and  he said it was nothing to worry about, that it's normal for lymph nodes to swell.

For about a year now i've felt a hard lump in the same area. I had a mammography and an ultrasound done like 3 mths ago. The doctor explained to me that it was nothing to worry about that it was a swollen lymph node and that the mammo and ultrasound didn't show anything other than a swollen lymph node. My concern is that the lump has been there for awhile and if feels somewhat hard. Is this normal? Will the swelling ever go away or should I be concerned and get a second opinion.

I am extremely worried at times especially because my mother was diagnosed with cancer in 2006, she had a masectomy, chemo and radiation. She just had some test done and they found that a couple of her lymph nodes are abnormal. The doctor had some blood test done and she got her results today. She was told that based on the blood test results and her enlarged axillary lymph nodes, it seems that the cancer is back.  She will have a biopsy done to determine what type of caner they are dealing with. This has been very hard to deal with and there are so many questions, one being how can they say "the cancer has returned" based on a blood test?

Thank you.