Breast Cancer Expert Forum
er and pr negative

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

er and pr negative
My doctor has told me that I am a triple negative.  I know that I am Er and PR negative, but I don't know what the third one would be.

Also, I really don't know the consequences of this diagnosis as far as survival rates or treatment options.  

I am 41 and have had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.  

I am afraid to question my oncologist too much, but I really would like the whoe picture.

Thanks, Marie
Dear Marie: Based on what you have said, I am guessing that the third "negative" might be the HER2neu status.  HER 2 is an antigen that is present on the surfaces of some breast cancer cells.  Like ER and PR, it helps determine whether certain treatments may be effective.  Regarding prognosis, it is impossible, without reviewing all of the information to speculate on this as it relates to you.  Your best option is to have this discussion directly with your oncologist.
Hi Marie. I am triple negative also. The last one is HER2 expression. I was diagnosed in August, 2002. I had lumpectomy, 4 AC, 4 Taxotere, 33 rads, bilateral mastectomies, prophylactic on the left and immediate reconstruction. Best to you.

Cindy (cecleto)
www.truefacesofbreastcancer.org
Hi--not knowing all the other important details (ie, size, whether invasive, node-positive, etc), I just know from reading that hormone receptor negativity is generally a sign that it has advanced beyond an earlier, typically ER+ lesion.  I guess the obvious implication of lacking hormone receptors is also that it probably won't be especially responsive to estrogen-blocking therapy.
everyone who reads this
i have just been diagnosed with triple negative.
we must push for a cure
what can we do?
i wead univ of north carolina is looking tryont to study  triple negative
?
what about susan komanss efforts
i have a 10 year old daughter .
please help
helen