excisional biopsy
I am 43 years old and had my yearly mammogram.  I was called back for a second mammogram and an ultrasound.  The Radiologist said it looked like five small cysts clumped together and it had smooth edges so she didn't think it was anything to be concerned with and gave me the option to wait 6 months and have another mammogram to see if anything changed or have a needle core biopsy.  I opted for the needle core biopsy.  I got the results today and the report was inconclusive and said "minor epithileal atypia"  and I need an excisional biopsy to confirm diagnosis.   I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow.  Has anyone else had a situation like this?

This discussion is related to Biopsy result - flat epithelial atypia.
I think that your surgeon is right wanting to remove these cysts that have "atypia"which means that there is an abnormality in the cells.  
The sooner you have the area excised,the sooner you can address potential problems early.Also it will give you the chance to conserve breast tissue and give you peace of mind.
Many women who had your same problem, the results from the excisional biopsy came back benign.
I am hoping for the same good results for you too.
Wishing you all the best!...
Two years ago when I was 46 years old I had a suspicious cluster of microcalcifications and was similarly diagnosed by stereotactic core needle biopsy to have flat epithelial atypia. I went ahead and did the excisional biopsy, where no further atypia was found, and no cancerous cells. Apparently all of the atypical cells had been captured on the needle biopsy.

I am glad that I did the excisional biopsy, for peace of mind. The odds are in your favor that yours will go well with benign results, as statistically more than two-thirds of the time this will be the case. But it is important to do the excisional biopsy to rule out the possibility of any cancer cells lurking nearby, as early detection means early treatment.

This year, now that I am 48, I had another little scare in the same area of the same breast where the annual mammogram showed suspicious clusters of microcalcifications again -- this time in two areas adjacent to where my previous excisional biopsy was. So last month I had two more stereotactic core needle biopsies, and the results came back completely benign this time, with no more atypia.

I wish for you to have similarly benign results! Good luck, and let us know how things go for you.
My excisional biopsy is scheduled for Monday 12/13/10  I will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for responding
Had my excisional biopsy on Monday 12/13/10 and got the results today, 12/15/10 -benign fibrocystic changes.  No pain after the surgery and went to work the next day.
Wonderful news... congratulations!

Thank you so much for letting us know.

All the best to you! :-)
Hooray! Great news -- we are so happy for you.