Breast Cancer Expert Forum
excisional biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

excisional biopsy

I had a routine mammogram in December 07, the mammography report came back - cluster of calcifications in the 12:00 position of the left breast where the calcifications are arranged in a linear distribution and they are branching, therefore these require stereotactic core biopsy.I had the biopsy done Jan 22,the pathology report of the biopsy reads "dislodged atypical ductal epithelium with rare calcifications" Excisional biopsy is recommended - core biopsy which I will be scheduling.

My questions:

(1) Is it possible that the ductal epithelium became dislodged from the stereotactic core biopsy?

(2) what does "rare calcifications" mean?  since my mammogram showed extensive calification throughout the left breast

(3) My doctor said I do not have cancer, if it is recommended that I have a excisional biopsy, does that mean that there is still a possibility that the biopsy can show malignant cells or is it a precursor to DCIS
Dear EM43:  A stereotactic biopsy is essentially a needle biopsy.  In other words, the only tissue that is submitted to pathology is that which is contained within the stereotactic needle.  In this biopsy, it is difficult to interpret the significance of “dislodged.”  Rare calcifications means that there were not many calcifications contained within the specimen.  While it is always hoped that the sample of tissue in a biopsy is representative of the whole area, an excisional biopsy is often recommended to be certain that the entire area of concern is, indeed, benign.  It is possible that there could be different results.