extreme internal itching in reconstructed breast
Hi!

I had a bilateral skin sparing mastectomies in both breast with immediate reconstruction using silicone implants and alloderm.  The cancer was in my left breast.  I just had a MRI of both my reconstructions about 10 days ago, don't know the results as yet.  I had the MRI because of nasty pain in my left reconstruction.  Now, my right reconstructed breast is giving me grief with extreme internal itching!  I had my surgery back in October of 2011.  Does anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar.

Diana
Hi Diana,
I don't have a personal experience,but I have read that many women who had a mastectomy with or without breast reconstruction,have experienced your same symptoms..
When the itchiness is felt underneath the skin,it's most often related to nerve damage due to breast surgery Many women have described mastectomy pain as a dull ache, burning feeling, numbness, itching, or a tingling sensation.The pain can come on immediately or months after the surgery.
The website below has very good information regarding pain and itchiness caused by mastectomy surgery. I hope it helps.I also hope that you'll feel better soon.
Take care...
http://www.imaginis.com/breast-health-news/many-women-report-phantom-breast-pain-after-mastectomy-dateline-october-23-2000
Thank you Zouzi!

It is more comforting knowing that this is a common problem, but wish us women did not have to experience as I think we experience enough from the onset of breast cancer with all the procedures, surgery, chemo, etc!
What I ahve learned from my experience with breast cancer is that we women "ROCK" we are really tough cookies, for sure!
Anyhoo!  hope you are doing great Zouzi!

Diana