Breast Cancer Expert Forum
fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

fibroadenoma

I have a fibroadenoma it was confirmed through a biopsy.  It does occasionally bother me i can feel it throb slightly.  I do want to get it removed but don't know if the insurance i have right now will cover that so I have kept it in.  Since it has recently been bothering me it was making me question whether this could now be potentially more harmful than it was in the beginning? So my main question is can a fibroadenoma become cancerous?
Dear KH5:  A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) growth. Fibrooadenomas are distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound and when aspirated - no fluid comes out. As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove the lump. In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years. In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years.
1 Comment
Can a fibroadenoma be misdiagnosed