Breast Cancer Expert Forum
fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

fibroadenoma

I've had a lump in my breast for a few years now.  A few years ago I had a needle aspiration done and it came back negative.  Last week I saw my Dr. and she noticed the lump had changed and grown quite a bit. It's about the size of a small marble.  She ordered another aspiration and the results came back benign again.  She called it a fibroadenoma and wants to see me in six months.  Everything I've read suggests those kind of lumps be removed to be on the safe side.  What do you suggest?
Dear boyd:  Fibrooadenomas are distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound and when aspirated - no fluid comes out.  A physician can generally tell whether a lump is a fibroadenoma by feeling it.  As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove the lump.  In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years.  In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years.  In teenagers - the tendency is not to remove fibroadenomas.  In middle age women, the tendency is to remove the fibroadenomas to be sure they are, in fact, fibroadenomas.
I say get rid of the fibroadenoma because it can hide a cancerous tumor, or you may think the that the tumor is part of the fibroadenoma or cyst.
The 2 cm fibroadenoma & cyst I had in 1986 was right next to the cancerous tumor that developed later on. I don't know how long the cancerous tumor was there because it was hidden by the fibroadenoma. The breast specialist advised to leave the fibroadenoma/cyst because it would mean a scar on my breast. Who cares? It was painful! Years later (1997) it was finally removed along with the tumor. I say if it hurts get it out. & if it doesn't belong there get it out.
My left breast has these little sharp pains shooting through it all the time and it is swolen I went to OB he said i drink to muck caffine. And it is just fibrode tissue. I am 29 and just had a hyster. in aug of last year. And Had my overies removed in Feb of this year. I am taking Premerine. And I can't help but think my OB is probably just tired of Dealing With Me? What do you All think?
A related discussion, Fibroadenoma... was started.