Breast Cancer Community
fibroglandular density

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

fibroglandular density

I just had a mammogram done, the fibroglandular density was 25-50% , just curious what that means and how high of a risk am I for developing breast cancer.  My mom had breast cancer 3 yrs ago.Please help put mymind at ease and let  me know what to expect.
Fibroglandular is what breast tissue is.A combination of glands and fibrous tissues and this is normal.It describes the tissue as lumpy,or dense.Many women have this condition,particularly young women and it's not indicative that cancer will develop.Because you have moderately dense breasts,it could make mammogram readings more difficult,your Doctor/Radiologist might recommend an Ultrasound if more information is mentioned on your report.If nothing suspicious is detected,your doctor will let you know when a follow-up is needed to make sure that no changes have occurred.
It's a good practice to regularly do your SBE (self breast exam) every month, one week after the start of your menstrual cycle and if you detect anything unusual,you should contact your Doctor .
From what you stated in your post, I really wouldn't worry about it.
Best wishes...

The density rating you received is based on the following scale:

Breast Imaging Lexicon
Mammographic Breast Composition

Mammographic breast composition is described as follows:
1. The breast is almost entirely fat (less than 25% glandular)
2. Scattered fibroglandular densities (25-50%)
3. Heterogeneously dense breast tissue (51-75%)
4. Extremely dense (greater than 75% glandular)

About 4 out of 5 women are rated 2 or 3, about 10% are rated 1, and 10% are rated 4. (These scores are only estimates, however, based on the radiologists' observations of the images, not by precise measurements.)

A recent research study found that the risk of breast cancer increased progressively with increasing breast density. The associations were stronger for larger tumors than for smaller tumors; for high-grade than for low-grade tumors; and for estrogen receptor-negative than for estrogen receptor-positive tumors. The link between density and breast cancer also appeared to be stronger for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) than for invasive tumors.

Apparently it is mainly the "extremely dense" tissue that carries the additional BC risks reported above. Since you are in a fairly low density category, I don't think this needs to cause you particular concern.

However, If you would like to read  a fuller discussion of this issue, click on the link below to see a previous thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/Dense-breasts-and-breast-cancer-risk/show/1612153

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly