I found a small mass in my left breast just above the nipple about 4 weeks ago - went to my obgyn who ordered and ultrasound. The ultrasound showed one solid mass (~6mm) accompanied by ~3 smaller masses. Biopsy of the largest mass came back with the diagnosis of florid ductal hyperplasia with no atypia. My radiologist suggested we leave it alone and schedule a follow up ultrasound in 6 months. But about an hour later my obgyn called and said she'd consulted with a second oncologist (a surgeon) who recommended that the mass be removed entirely (surgically). My mother and her mother both had breast cancer in their post menopausal years, but I don't have any other close female relatives that can be used to assess my history. I've read a lot of info online that says surgery is not necessary in my situation....I'm curious to hear from folks who have experience with this so I can make a better informed decision about surgery.
I suppose you can look at this in two ways BUT it does increase your risk of developing Breast Cancer by 1.5 to 2. With your family history which of course is another risk factor it would most likely be wise to surgically remove this area now rather than all the waiting and watching from now on .... which would be at least every 6 months or possibly more often. If you had no other risk factors such as your family history I might say "wait and watch" but that isn't the case so I'm on the side of the Dr.s who say "operate". The procedure should be a rather simple one with a quick recovery time. Regards ....
Thanks - I'm definately leaning that direction and the surgeon that I've been referred to has a really good reputation. But I've had quite a few frustrating interactions with doctors in the past, too much information for here, but lets just say my trust level is nonexistent. Getting two different stories from the doctors I've worked with over the past week doesn't help this situation much. For me, more information from folks who've been in my shoes would be super helpful.
I wouldn't necessarily call it two different opinions about the surgery. Radiologists see things differently based only on what they see on film. Often they do not know the complete history of each patient and therefore might not recommend surgery at this time. As I said, under ordinary circumstances I feel the re-check in 6 months was a valid one EXCEPT for the fact of your family history of BC. It sounds like you have connected with a very good Surgeon and I hope things go well for you. Take care now.
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.