Breast Cancer Community
fluid retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

fluid retention

I had a mastectomy on the 31st of Jan 2008.  I am still suffering severe pain and have had mt breast drained of the fluid in Aug of this year.  It is now Dec and the breast is full again what question should I be asking and to whom should i be asking this question.  I have an appointment today with my Oncologist and on the 16th of this month with
my Rad. Oncologist.  Or should I go to my Surgen?
I'm not sure I understand about the fluid ... you stated that you had a mastectomy so unless you had reconstruction you don't have a breast. If you had the fluid drained; the Dr. that did this procedure would be the one I would see again. I would think it would be the Surgeon but you didn't mention who had drained the fluid in August. Either your Oncologist or Radiation Onc. would certainly be able to answer the question as to why this is happening .... it certainly isn't a usual occurance post mastectomy; at least not for this length of time. I would be asking "WHY" and I would ask each Physician the same question.   Regards ....
Let us know what you've found out.  Hope all is resolved by now.  If not, you need a second (or third) opinion!  My mastectomy was Oct. 15, and I'm fussing because I've still got 1 ounce of fluid....
Hi,  I am experiencing similar situation.  Bilateral Mastectomy 10/31, 17 days later MRSA and left expander removed.  03.20.09 left expander replaced, drained pull 6 days later.  Fluid build-up began 5 days after drain removal.  270 cc removed has been the most over a 24-hour period.  I am in pain and don't know what to do.  Has your pain and discomfort gone away?
A related discussion, Post Mastectomy Fluid Retention was started.