Breast Cancer Community
focal atypical ductal hyperplasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

focal atypical ductal hyperplasia

My Doctor called and told me that my breast bioposy showed that I have "Focal atypical ductal hyperplasia" what is this, and how is it related to cancer?
1 Comment

Atypical ductal hyperplasia is not cancer nor is it a pre-cancerous lesion. But it does mean that the individual is predisposed to increased risk of cancer.

For you to understand it - this means that there is an area (focal) from the duct of the breast (ductal) of an increased number of cells than usual (hyperplasia) that look different than normal breast tissue (atypical).

You should follow up with your doctor about the further management plan in your case.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.