Breast Cancer Community
focal mild intraductal hyperplasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

focal mild intraductal hyperplasia

I just received my surgical pathology report indicating benign finds.  However the report indicates that there is focal mild intraductal hyperplasia.  Do you know what that means?  Is it the same as apypical hperplasia?  
Avatar dr m tn
Hi.  The finding of "mild intraductal hyperplasia" is different from "atypical hyperplasia".
Intraductal hyperplasia means that the cells making up the mammary gland's duct have multiplied more than what is usual, causing the gland or duct to enlarge.  This is not necessarily an abnormal finding.  Breast tissue can undergo some degree of hyperplasia as a result of estrogen stimulation during the course of the menstrual cycle.
In atypical hyperplasia, breast tissue also multiply more than the usual, but the appearance of the cells that have undergone multiplication are "atypical" or abnormal.  
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much for the expalanation.  This is very helpful and especially that I have not discussed the results with my surgeon yet.  Is there any specific questions I should inquire about when I see my surgeon regarding the results related to hyperplasia?
Avatar n tn
Yes. The qualifier “mild” though I’m not certain, it likely pertains to the amount of hyperplasia found. You may wish to discuss this with a doctor in order to make a risk assessment for breast cancer. There are some options for prevention with medicine.
Avatar n tn
oops, Dean 536 is right - without the word atypical, this does not increase your risk for breast cancer. The suggestion of a risk assessment with a physician I think still applies even with this finding.