Breast Cancer Expert Forum
further node removal
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

further node removal

Hi, I had a bilateral mastectomy in july with the sentinel node removed. I was initially told it was negative but a week later they said they found less than 1 mm tumor deposit. I am scheduled to have my implant exchange surgery next month and they would like to remove "a few" more nodes as well as scrap the pectoral muscle at the same time. I have already completed 8 rounds of chemo and begin tamoxifen next month and I am wondering if this surgery is really necessary. They say it's about a 10% chance of there being anything found. I am concerned about increasing my risks for lymphedema and wouldn't the chemo have treated my whole system anyway? Any info or advice would be great, thanks.