Breast Cancer Expert Forum
further node removal

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

further node removal
Hi, I had a bilateral mastectomy in july with the sentinel node removed. I was initially told it was negative but a week later they said they found less than 1 mm tumor deposit. I am scheduled to have my implant exchange surgery next month and they would like to remove "a few" more nodes as well as scrap the pectoral muscle at the same time. I have already completed 8 rounds of chemo and begin tamoxifen next month and I am wondering if this surgery is really necessary. They say it's about a 10% chance of there being anything found. I am concerned about increasing my risks for lymphedema and wouldn't the chemo have treated my whole system anyway? Any info or advice would be great, thanks.
Dear sunflowergirl, We cannot give advise and recommendations about an individual patient situation.  We do not have all of the information needed to give a good opinion.  You may want to consider a second opinion with someone who could discuss with you the risks and benefits of this further surgery in context of your individual situation.