Breast Cancer Expert Forum
green discharge from nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

green discharge from nipple

There is a sticky green substance that comes out of my right
nipple if I squeeze it. It doesn't come out by itself.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

I did have my son 8 years ago and breastfed for over a year. Could it have anything to do with the milk not drying up??? or
something in a duct?
Dear sm2:  Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it
I had a similar experience a few months ago, although my discharge was brown/red in color. I saw a breast oncologist
who took a sample of the discharge to check for blood.
She mentioned that discharge is of concern if it is spontaneous,
comes from one duct only, and has blood in it. If you are
concerned, I would suggest seeing your physican or a breast
surgeon.
A related discussion, blue disscharge was started.