Breast Cancer Expert Forum
help with some biopsy and surgical report question

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

this is from INITIAL BIOPSY report

Vascular/lymphatic invasion:  Few foci suspicious for vascular/lymphatic invasion are indentified.
QUESTION: what does this all means , can you explain in simple terms?

this is from SURGICAL PATHALOGY report

one out of six axillary lymph nodes positive for metastatic breast carcinoma (maximum size of metastatic focus 0.1cm),  no extranodal extension.
QUESTION: did they skip her sentinel node? can i assume her sentinel node is not cancerous? Is cancer spread axillary node worse than just sentinel node?

few foci of high grade ductal carcinoma in situ present in the vicinity of previous biopsy site (two larger foci measure 0.2 cm each).
QUESTION:  does this mean there's 2 more lumps/tumor

Dear vigilant:  I am assuming that the patient had an excision or re-excision that produced the surgical pathology report. Question #1:  This information suggests that there are cancer cells invading the lymphatics and blood vessels.  It indicates that this is invasive breast cancer.  #2:  It stands to reason that the sentinel node was removed along with the other 5 nodes.  The report does not state which node had the cancer cells present so it is impossible to draw any conclusions regarding the sentinel node.  The most critical thing about node involvement is how many nodes.  Whether it is the sentinel node or not is not the most important feature.  Also, if the cancer had spread outside the node (extranodal extension) it would be worse.  #3:  I'm not 100% certain with this information but I suspect that this indicates that there is DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) that has been removed with the excision.