Breast Cancer Community
hematoma after stereotactic biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

hematoma after stereotactic biopsy

I had a stereotactic needle core biopsy on 2/22/08 (13 days ago) for clusters of microcalcifications. There was one area on the right breast and 2 areas on the left.  On the left breast they had trouble with one of the areas and worked on it for about 1 1/2 hours (just the one area).  They weren't sure if they got the right area or not.  My labs came back fine on two areas, but inconclusive on the area they had trouble with.  After I heal up for 6 weeks or so, I am going back for an open biopsy to remove both areas on the left just to be sure. Twelve days after my biopsy, my left breast was extremely hard and heavy.  The hole still just had a "clot" covering it. After my shower that morning, I barely brushed the area with a washcloth and it opened up and tons of dark purple clotted blood came out.  Two days later, it is still oozing lighter colored and thinner liquid. It feels much better.  Is this normal??  I have called the surgeon's office several times to report what is happening and he said to just let him know if it gets worse or infected (feeling hot to the touch).  What do you think?

Thanks!
Lori

A hematoma is seen in some cases after a biopsy procedure. It usually heals on its own or resolves spontaneously. You could try wearing lose clothes and some warm compresses. Take some OTC pain relief medications in case you have any pain.

How much is the discharge quantity and colour now? Do you have any fever or any other symptoms?

But it would be advisable to go and show it to your surgeon if it persists after a few days more or if it increases in size or shows signs of getting infected.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Thank you for responding.  The discharge now is a burgundy color and watery texture.  I use half of a "light days" menstrual pad (pretty clever I think - it fits nicely in my bra) and yesterday had to change it 3 times troughout the day.  I am not having any fever, but have a new bruised feeling at the bottom of my ribcage (a bruise doesn't show yet, but is very sore) and under my arm.  The hard area was about 3" across before the "eruption" the other day.  Now it is about the size of a ping pong ball. I thought maybe the new bruised feeling was just all the blood or fluid trying to move out of the area so it could heal. I am very small busted so this still seems huge to me!

Can you also give me your opinion about having the area (along with the other area of microcalcs that came back okay on the biopsy) taken out in a few weeks?  Does this sound reasonable to you?

Thank you so much for your input!!

At this point of time and with  the description you give i would suggest that you consult your surgeon and get a clinical examination done and ask him/her about the further plan of management and whether any investigations need to be done.

Take some pain relief medications till then.

Let us know what your doctor/ surgeon advises and also post us about how you are doing and whether the discharge has decreased or stopped.

Regards.