Breast Cancer Expert Forum
her-2 positive

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

her-2 positive

I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer. My cancer was her-2/neu positive. At first, I was told I would need only radiation treatment, but now with these results, the dr. said I may need another kind of treatment. I am meeting with the oncologist in 2 weeks and this now seems like forever wondering what the other treatment might be. Can you give me any ideas because I do better when I am a bit prepared. thank you for this opportunity to ask questions.
Dear mom22girlz:  Without reviewing all of your information, it is impossible for us to speculate on what your doctor may be proposing.  If your cancer is HER2 positive, a possible option may include herceptin but there could be other recommendations as well.  
Is chemo necessary with HER-2 positive test?  My tumor was 1 cm, not in any cancer in my lymph nodes and my surgeon said I'd only need radiation.  The radiation Dr. said I need chemo before radiation since is was a HER-2. What is the prognosis with chemo and if I don't have chemo?
Her2neu + is one of the biggest breakthroughs in breast cancer at this time.  Only about 25% of breast cancer patients can benefit from Herceptin, which has just recently approved for early stage breast cancer treatment and it greatly decreases the risk of recurrence of cancer.  I'm only just learning of this myself as I was diagnosed in February.  I am stage II, invasive ductal, with one lymphn node involved and positive margins.  I'm having chemo first then mastectomy followed by radiation and Herceptin for a year, followed by Tamoxofin for five years, I believe.  It's a long road ahead, but I'm so thankful that as a Christian I have my faith in God to see me through it all and am so thankful for the knowledge of so many doctors and researchers to get us to this point.  

Check out HerConnection [***@****]
It just came through on my email, I havent yet read it but it may have some good info.  Also CURE magazine last month had a good article on Herceptin