Breast Cancer Expert Forum
hetergenously dense and result

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

hetergenously dense and result

I am a 31 year old wf and found a lump in my right breast around christmas. I had just weaned my son after 13 months of nursing. Last week I went for a mammogram and ultrasound. The lump I found is a simple cyst and I am going to be having it aspirated asap. The report from my mam/us states that I have heterogenously dense breast and bilateral powderlike calcifications in the right breast (the same with the lump) What does all this mean?? I understand the density can affect the sensitivity of the mam, but what is hetergenously dense??
My maternal grandmother developed breast cancer when she was younger than I am now. I know my findings last week were positive, but I can't help still being a bit nervous. I think it may be because I don't fully understand my results.
I want to say thanx in advance for any feedback and answers!
Dear krunchie:  Heterogeneously dense breast tissue would mean that the tissue is dense in different ways.  Another way of describing it might be that the dense tissue is not all the same.  Younger women often have dense breast tissue - and this makes mammograms difficult to read.  This is a major reason why mammograms are not done in young women routinely.  I am a little confused about the "bilateral powderlike calcifications in the right breast."  By definition, bilateral usually refers to both breasts.  If this is the case, I would assume that there are some calcifications scattered throughout both breasts.  This is also a normal finding.