Breast Cancer Community
highly suggestive of malignancy:catergory 5

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I simply went for a follow up to abnormal pap and they decided to check my breasts- found a lump in my left  breast at 2 oclock pos. Went yesterday for ultrasound, assuming it was a cyst and then was asked to have mammo. Because of dense breast tissue the lump was not detected on the mammo and the radiologist literally walked in and said it looks like cancer or could be a localized infection, should have a biopsy. I am 26 yrs old with a 10month old and 4 yr old. I am scared to death. Has anyone had such a scare with a report reading "highly suggestive of malignancy: catergory 5" where it was just an infection. I cant seem to find any info on breast infections other that breasfeeding infections- i didn't nurse either. any positive information would help. It also says "hypoechoic, taller than wide, microlobulated lesion with central vesses for which biopsy is recommended". This sounds awful and I am so confused.
Well first you should definitelly make an appointment with a surgeon (preferably a breast specialist) so that he/she can examine your breast and also review the films. No doubt there will be a biopsy of some sort .... there are several kinds and that will be up to the surgeon to recommend which type would be best suited to  your particular situation. A biopsy will tell you exactly what is going on and that's what you really want to know at this point. Just take things one step at a time and be as calm as possible.
You should not be left alone hanging like this. of course you are scared out of your mind. you need to call the doctor who is not the radiologist but your gynecologist or whoever it is you would talk to about this and who knows what is going on. I don't mean that he can know for sure without biopsy results but he needs to let you know what is up, and what they/you are potentially dealing with. call him immediately or walk right to the office. category 5, if the radiologist said that is very serious and then you say you also had an abnormal pap smear. Don't sit alone with this.
The very best to you and I also hope very much that it is something benign but I would be scared too. Take care.
Thank you for your comments. Good news on the pap- NORMAL!!( I had part of my cervix removed in January due to precancerous cells) I was able to get in today to a breast cancer specialist in chicago due to some friends calls and a cancelation. My nerves are shot and i can barely see out of my swollen eyes but I cant get in any sooner than today so that is good. Im aware of neeedle biopsies and surgical removal, I almost feel like they should just get it out of my body. I dont know how big it is but it doesnt belong there. I really dont have alot  of information but I did learn there is a central vessel inside the mass and can only assume that if indeed cancer i dont want that getting into my blood vessel. This has been so fast and unbelievable, Wednesday was normal and now this. Well I'm off to put my smile on and take care of my little boys who are my strenght right now. I'll update after my appt today. Wish me luck!
Yes it is a shock, you life has changed over night.  You're kids will keep you going no matter what the results.  Fingers crossed you get some good news today.

Thinking of you.
Hey There,

I just came across your post and I want you to know that no matter what happens, you are not alone!! We are all here for you. I am praying that you dont have breast cancer but again either way you have friends here at this site to help you along the way.

It could be something benign, but in the event  that it is not we will all be here to support you with open arms. So take a deep breath, calm your nerves, and kiss those little boys!! Please keep us posted.

Traceyz