Breast Cancer Expert Forum
hormone postive and pregnancy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

hormone postive and pregnancy

Is it foolish to get pregnant after being hormone receptor positive with stage 1 breast cancer?  btw - haven't made my mind up about taking tamoxifen but know you can't get pregnant while taking it.

thanks
becky
Dear Becky, According to the current data available the recommendation for tamoxifen is that women with invasive breast cancer who have positive lymph nodes or tumors greater than 1cm with positive hormone receptors should receive adjuvant tamoxifen for a period of 5years.  For women with small tumors < 2 cm and negative lymph nodes, the risk of systemic recurrence is relatively low, and decisions about tamoxifen need to be considered carefully.  For the majority of such women, the benefits of tamoxifen probably outweigh the risks. Trials continue and information continues to be gathered as to whether treatment with tamoxifen after adjuvant chemotherapy in women with stage I estrogen receptor positive breast cancer, will improve overall survival.

It is generally recommended that pregnancy be delayed 2 to 3 years after adjuvant treatment.  The delay is not because of the influence of the pregnancy on the cancer, but rather to delay childbearing until after the time of greatest risk of recurrence of the tumor.  A concern here is if the cancer recurs in the midst of pregnancy, the potential need for delay of treatment, due to risk to the fetus.  Another concern is your resources for the care of the child if the cancer does return and you need further treatment.  These are some of the considerations that are part of the decision making process.  

This is the current information that I can give you about treatment after  Stage I breast cancer and the risks of pregnancy.  The decision whether or not to take tamoxifen, or whether or not to delay becoming pregnant is ultimately going to be up to you.
All I can say is be true to yourself I had grade 3 cancer while pregnant with my second son had a radical at 5 mos. The cancer thank GOD was all contained to the tumor and all 19 lymphs were neg.  Almost 2 years later had another son and then again closed the family with a girl. All went very well for me I even breastfed all 3 with one breast much to the amazement of my oncologist.  May your choice be the right one and many blessings to you.