Breast Cancer Community
how long will I slosh???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

how long will I slosh???

Can anybody tell me how long I'm likely to be sloshing around like a half-full water balloon, following a (successful!) lumpectomy for a small spot of DCIS?  I didn't get a drain after the surgery, and the dr doesn't seem to feel draining is necessary now.  Certainly, nothing hurts and nothing is particularly swollen or odd.  Just:  my breast sounds--and feels--exactly like a water balloon.   My kids can hear me coming across the room.  How long is this likely to last? Is there anything I could be doing, on my own, to reduce the fluid build up?
Tags: fluid
Well I don't think you should be "sloshing" at all. It may take months for this fluid to be absorbed and there is no reason that it couldn't be drained by simply inserting a needle and removing the fluid. There isn't usually that much fluid buildup with just a lumpectomy and drains are not routinely used. I don't really know of anything you can do to hasten the process ... I'd want it drained one way or another. The tissue surfaces need to "stick" together and they aren't likely to do that when the area is full of fluid. You didn't mention how long ago you had the lumpectomy; not that it would really matter.    Regards ....
Oh!  One and 1/2 weeks ago.  

I see dr again tomorrow, so I'll ask about draining again then. But he sure didn't seem to think it was important last week, when it first started.

I feel silly complaining, when everything could be so much worse... but this is just weird!

Thanks,

dazedmom
Please don't feel silly.  I am having draining issues after a mastectomy.  Drain was removed and 5 days later 250 cc of fluid had accummulated.  The fluid continues to grow and today the plastic surgeon determined we can't draw-off any more fluid due to the risk of infection.  I've been told that it takes up to a year for fluid to be re-absorbed into the body.

Please have the fluid drained, its a simple needle punch!
Well, just saw dr again.  He says fluid is normal, so long as it doesn't build up to point where breast is painful or misshapen.  Says it's body's way of filling the hole left by lumpectomy, and fluid will re-absorb within about 6 months or so.   With some people, who had much larger surgeries, it might be up to a year.    So... I guess I'll shut up and hope I'm extra-absorbent!

Hope this helps somebody else in future.

:)
dazedmom
Well all Dr.s have different ideas and methods and now we know how your's thinks. Hope you can get used to the "sloshing" and that it doesn't cause you any other problems. I guess some good advice would be "don't run".  Kindest regards ....
A related discussion, scar leakage was started.