Breast Cancer Community
how to treat a seroma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

how to treat a seroma

I have a small seroma from a breast mass & duct removal.  Will it help to let it air out.

Thank you

Lahna6

This discussion is related to seroma.
1 Comment
Hi there.

Seromas are common complications of surgery to the breast specially in more extensive surgeries.  The treatment for these conditions is mainly aspiration (inserting a needle and aspirating the contents).  A diagnostic exam that can be done is ultrasound.  This can somewhat differentiate if the fluid inside is serous or bloody, in which case any of which can be treated effectively by your surgeon.

I suggest you inform your surgeon about this so that he can institute proper treatment.
Regards and God bless.
A related discussion, exercise with a leaking seroma was started.