Breast Cancer Community
hyperechoic/hypoechoic breast nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

hyperechoic/hypoechoic breast nodule

I am 46 years old. I have had three sonograms and all have said I have both hyper and hypochoic nodules in my right breast. I was told to come back and 6 months. The largest is 4cm and id a circumscribed hyperechoic nodule possible a lipoma. On my recent sono they found one in my left breast this one is new. It is .2x .3 cm cyst. there is a subtle increased echogenicity in the tissue surrounding the cyst with an estimated size of .9 x 1.1 cm.

I dont know what to do because I do have occasional pain in both breast. My doctor want to watch them and see if they get bigger. I think I need a second opinion. What so you think? I had a bilateral breast sonogram with BCAD.
I recently had my first ever mammo, and had to go back for the compression views and u/s.  I have a 5mm lymph node that they want me to have checked in 3 months.  I am a little leary about this.  From what I researched, the normal size lymph node is a few mm to 1 - 2 cm.  5 mm is equal to .5 cm.  I thought this was a normal size.  Of course you cant get anyone to return your call to ask questions.  I dont know what my BIRAD score was.  All of this is new to me.  Its scary.  
To decide on whether to biopsy a nodule (hyperechoic / hypoechoic), or observe it, radiologists take in other factors, such as size, location, shape and the nature of the edges. If you were not scheduled for a biopsy they presumably feel you can safely wait.
But you are certainly entitled to ask for a biopsy,or seek a second opinion if you are not comfortable waiting and worry for 6 months.
Best wishes and good luck...