Breast Cancer Community
hypoechoic node and microcalcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

hypoechoic node and microcalcifications

I am 45 years old with no history of bc.  I recently had a mammo with more than a dozen microcalcifications in the para-areolar region.  Follow up mammo showed microcalcifications linear in shape and also linear in formation with branching.  I was sent for a surgical consult and have been scheduled for a fine wire localization with excision biopsy.  The birad is a 4b.  Prior to the initial mammogram, my physician had sent me for an ultrasound as she felt a lump during routine physical exam.  The ultrasound showed a small ovoid hypoechoic structure 4mm x 4mm 1mm in the same breast as the microcalcifications were later discovered.  The ultrasound reads "a minor lymph node is suspected here".  My question is "is it possible that the suspected lymph node is actually a tumor in light of the later findings with the microcalcifications?"  I read that during biopsy procedures to remove microcalcifications, other abnormalities (such as tumors) are discovered that were not originally seen on mammogram.  I have very little breast tissue as well as saline implants.  Has anyone had a similar finding with their mammogram and what was the final outcome?  
The lymph node and the microcalcifications could be two entirely seperate issues with no connection. I would think that the "lesion" might also be removed as well as the area of microcalcifications if they are in close proximity. Regards ...
Thank you for your response.  I just noticed last night and again this morning a "pus-like" discharge from the nipple of my breast that I am awaiting the biopsy on.   It is a very small amount but kind of disturbing and wondering if it is related or if its normal as I have read that breast discharge is not uncommon though I've never experienced anything that looks like this before.
Take care