hypoechoic nodule of the breast
Pls enlighten me with this. My mother had her ultrasonnography of the breast and the result is: both breasts show normal parenchymal echopattern. There is a small hypoechoic nodule at the 6 oclock zone b position of the right breast measuring 0.46x0.37x0.34 cm. no nodules are detected on the left breast. the retroareolar and axillary tail regions are unremarkable. Impression: small hypoechoic breast nodule, right, suggest follow up.
Pls help me understand this to me. Pls Explain this to me.. Thank you so much looking forward to your reply..
This means that there is a nodule (small) that reflects less echos that the other breast tissues. The suggested follow-up might be either a Mammogram or an appointment with a Breast Surgeon / Specialist for further evaluation. A biopsy may be recommended also to determine the exact nature of this nodule. You don't mention if a BIRADS score was assigned in the final report and that would indicate what type of follow-up would best serve in your Mother's case.  Regards .....
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Birads is not indicated in the result. Is there any way that the nodule will be distinguished in the ultrasound as either benign or malignant without undergoing biopsy? I really appreciate the reply. Godbless.
And will it be possible that it's only fibroadenoma, since she' s having breast pain during menstrual period? Is benign nodule or cyst painful, and malignant are not?
The only way to tell with 100% certainty that a finding is benign or malignant is some type of biopsy. Breast pain at certain times during the menstrual cycle is not unusual and although malignant lumps are not often painful this shouldn't be an indicator that one might depend upon. A biopsy remains the ONLY way to determine the true nature of any abnormal finding.   Kindest regards .....
A related discussion, BREAST CANCER was started.