infection after radiation
I stopped my radiation treatments for DCI in August 2007.  Since then I have had infection in my milk ducts.  I had taken doxycycline and it went away.  It is back again, 3 months later.  Is this normal and what might need to be done in the future?
Hi ma'am,
How are you? Side effects happen because radiotherapy affects normal cells as well as cancer cells.  Normal cells are more able to recover than cancer cells, but they may suffer some damage, which may be temporary or permanent, due to the radiation. Common side effects include tiredness, skin reaction, pain, nausea or loss of appetite.  Rare side effects, on the other hand include telangiectasia, fractures or nerve damage. It would be best to strengthen your immune system to prevent infection from happening again,  such as stress reduction, low fat diet and antioxidants. You could discuss this with your doctor for proper management.

Take care and regards.
Thanks for responding so quickly.  These are pimple like bumps around my nipple.  I spoke to the doctor when they first started to fill up.  I believe he said that he could remove the ducts that are affected.  Does that mean he would remove different parts of my nipple?  When they become painful I can normally squeeze them (white dry stuff comes out) and the pain lessens.  Is it ok to just deal with it or should I get it operated on right away?
Hi!
If antibiotics and self-care methods don't work, the affected milk duct may be surgically removed. This procedure is done through a tiny incision at the areola and relieve the pressure as well as the pain. Being an infection, it would be best to deal with it right away to prevent more complications.

Take care and keep me posted.