Breast Cancer Expert Forum
inflammatory breast cancer

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

inflammatory breast cancer

Can the symptoms, like the rash and itching, for inflammatory breast cancer come and go or do they remain once they come on?
Dear saulsybaby,  Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) is a rare type of breast cancer accounts for only 1 to 4 percent of all breast cancers.  It is called inflammatory because the symptoms are usually a redness and warmth in the skin of the breast, often without a distinct lump.   It can be mistaken for an infection and initially be treated with antibiotics.  IBC would not get better on the antibiotics, and symptoms would be unlikely to resolve on their own.  Once inflammatory breast cancer is being treated the symptoms should improve.
Hello, I am 18 years old and terrified that I am going to get IBC despite the fact that I don't have a history of it in my family. My mom died last year, so I don't really have many people I can come to. I have a very light red patch of skin on the upper inner corner of my breast. It's very close to the chest wall--there's just barely a layer of fat there. I see a small red dot that I think could be an infected hair follicle--I get them from time to time. I am terrified that this is cancer and when I wake up it will have spread. I know the only real reassurance I can get is to see a doctor, but right now, I would just like someone to tell me what the chances are that this could be IBC.
Hi, I'm 14 and recently one of my breasts (the left one) got way bigger than the other and it's swollen and there's discharge. I read that a thirteen year old girl got breast cancer and I am so so scared. Please someone reply to this. Please.
A related discussion, red and itchy was started.