Breast Cancer Expert Forum
invasive or non-invasive

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

invasive or non-invasive

I have lots of questions. I have been diagnosed with ductal carsinoma in situ, although I am still continuing to have further tests to make sure its not invasive. My doctor said he has to do a mastecomy (in 2 weeks) and is taking about sentinal biopsy during surgery and possible auxillary node removal during the same surgery if cancer is found during operation. or alternately auxillary surgery later if cancer is found in pathological report.  He says my cancer has been there for years but I never felt anything until late spring and it did not start as a lump like they tell us, but firmness or thickness that just seems to getting thicker, it is 5X10 cm. How can something that contained in the ducts grow so big. And how could it start in so many ducts at the same time. how does it get from duct to duct if its not invasive. And why could I not feel it before June. can I have this size tumor and still be in situ, I have had 2 biopsys already no invasive type is found. He says I wont get chemo because its not effective for in situ and hes removing the whole breast so I likely wont get ratiation either because of type of cancer. Likely Tamoxafin. Has anyone out there had false negative results. My doctor tried to tell me that not all cancers act they way they are expected, but nothing I have read matches what I am experiencing. I am just worried that not everything is being found and I know the lump is much larger that when I first found it, it seems almost 2x as big
Dear deahi:  Without evaluating the mammogram, ultrasound (if done) and doing a clinical breast examination as well as reviewing the pathology slides, it is impossible to make specific comments regarding your situation.  Certainly a 5x10 mass is not typical of ductal carcinoma in situ - but it is unclear if the entire mass appears suspicious or if there are suspicious parts of another more benign appearing problem.  DCIS can be extensive throughout the breast and, in that situation, a mastectomy is often recommended. If a mastectomy is done, the entire mass will be evaluated by pathology and any invasive component would then be identified.  If there is invasive cancer, then lymph nodes are usually sampled and analyzed.  Additional treatment will depend upon exactly what is found.