Breast Cancer Expert Forum
itching after biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

itching after biopsy

Had an excisional biopsy Thursday. Haven't got path report yet. Pain & swelling is less than I expected, but the itching is driving me up the wall. I think I'm allergic to the adhesive they used on the outer dressing. The incision is fine, where the steristrips kept the adhesive away from the skin, but I have a baseball-sized raised itchy welt around it. I bought some benadryl type cream (diphenhydramine). It works, briefly. It is safe to use it frequently? (Not on the incision, but on the outer area.) Is this something I should mention to the dr, or just put up with? It's not exactly on the "warning signs" sheet they give you after surgery. PS - What's the difference between an "excisional biopsy" and a lumpectomy?
Dear am-jay:  An excisional biopsy and a lumpectomy can, effectively, be the same thing.  The question after a biopsy is, if it is positive, are the margins clear or whether additional tissue must be removed.  Regarding the skin irritation, you should let your surgeon's office know what is happening and get any recommendations regarding cream etc. from them.  In addition, itching can sometimes be a part of the healing process and will improve with time.  
Hi there.  Just FYI, I have a friend that is allergic to a certain surgical tape. I would contact your Dr.s office and they can advise you-that's what they are there for.  Excisional biopsy is when they take a sample of whatever is in question, sometimes they remove it all -your results will tell. Lumpectomy is when they remove all unwanted material.  Good Luck!
I was dz today with invasive ductal and lobular carninoma. With dcis. What a day.I had a biopsy a few days ago and the itching was horrible. Today they told me it was mainly the tape. I took it off and it stopped. There was some itching with healing. I am being set up with surgeon but having trouble with insurance. They just changed the plan two weeks ago. I have screamed and cried and thought the neighbors were going to call 911. I am glad I found this board and hope I can help others eventually.
Rachel
I had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago, biopsy came back not cancer, THANK GOD!! but I have had several complications with the surgery.  First, I got what they called a "bleeder"  2 hours after surgery, they gave me the option of going back in and fixing it or just applying alot of pressure, I chose the second and it was horrible!  I have never been in so much pain, and have never itched so much.  When the ace bandage came off, 2 days later, the swelling had gone down, and I could finally relieve some of the itching, it wasn't on the incision site, but every where else, for a few days I was better but this past week the swelling has returned along with the bruising and there is a knot bigger than my fist that is hard as a rock.  I go back to the surgeon Monday to see about it.  I'm scared.  If its a blood clot what will they do?  If it's a torn muscle?  It hurts just as bad now as it did right after surgery and I can't take the pain pills they gave me and work.  If anyone has experienced any of these problems please advise me.  I am a 28 year single mother, and this past month has been the scariest and most uncomfortable month of my life.  my Email is ***@****
Thanks and God Bless