Breast Cancer Expert Forum
itching

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

itching

For two months now I have noticed that my left nipple and breast itch during ovulation and my period. Both breasts are tender as usual, but this itching feels topical. Everyhting else has always been normal and regular and I have regular check-ups. The itching is mild, but something different. Should I be concerned. I am 29.
Dear SuzanneB:  I am assuming that there is no noticable skin irritation that you can see.  If there is, you might have your doctor take a look.  If there is no visible skin irritation, you might observe for another cycle and if this continues, make an appointment to see your doctor.  Itching can be a symptom of some types of breast cancer but it is not usually cyclical and is usually accompanied by skin irritation.  Of course, you can have skin irritation and itching from many other benign conditions (eczema, for example) as well.
In your reply to the question about itching, you mention that itching is a sympton of some type of breast cancer.  Could you elaborate on that.
I have been experiencing almost the same thing.  I have had an itch in my left breast, behind the nipple.  It does not seem to be topical.  It is there 70% of the time and feels to be about an inch under the nipple.  I went to my doctor and got a mammogram, all was fine.  He then gave me a cortisone type of Rx which did not work.  Today he prescribed a cortisone type steroid to the pharmacy and I don't think that I should take it.  I am going to call a breast doctor Monday... any suggestions?  sue