Breast Cancer Expert Forum
itchy areola

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

itchy areola
Off and on over the last few weeks, I've noticed that under my nipple, the areola on my right breast has become itchy and scaly.  As I scratch for relief, the flakes fall off and the skin, in very small spots, is broken.  There is no discharge from the nipple and no lump from what I can tell (I'm not sure how noticeable lumps are either).  But the patch that itches is definitely noticeable.  It either looks dry, scaly and white (I am African-American, so my areola is brown) or the skin looks a little thickened, but scaly as well.  I've made an appointment with my OB/GYN, but I'm quite anxious.  Can you give some insight on what may be happening?
Dear shadyjady, The skin on the breast is like skin elsewhere on the body and subject to a variety of conditions.  As this is continuing and causing you concern you are doing the correct thing by getting it checked just to be sure.