Breast Cancer Community
left breast mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

left breast mass

My pathology report states "Left Breast Mass 0.47 x 0.45 x 0.60"  Are those figures the size of the tumor and, if so, is that a small tumor...maybe less than a centimeter?  It's a non-palpable mass, biopsy was diagnosed as  Invasive ductal carcinoma.   Surgery this week, so would hope for a response ASAP.
Thank you.
That could be the estimated tumor size, but did the report indicate what type of measurements it referred to?  If it's in cm, then yes, that would be a little less than half a centimeter by a little more than half a centimeter. (The actual tumor size is not known until the report comes back from an exicision/lumpectomy/mastectomy.)

The smallish size is good, but also important will be the receptor status, grade of the tumor, whether they get clear margins, and whether there is any lymph node involvement.

If you write back, please keep in mind that the more information you provide, the better answers we can give. And if you keep all your related posts in the same thread, so that all of your information is in one place, that also helps.

Hope your surgery goes well!
Thank you so much for your input.  When I discussed my pathology report with my surgeon, it was he who pointed out the pre-operative diagnosis and said the tumor is less than a centimeter, and BIRADS 5.  I had additional mammograms just before the biopsy (a ultrasound guided core biopsy) & the x-ray technician also said the tumor is quite small & the lymph nodes were not enlarged.  The pathology report also said "no lymphatic invasion". However, my surgeon is going to take the sentinel node just to be sure. I'm having a simple mastectomy.  There was no necrosis, microcalcification or lymph invasion.  My estrogen and progesterone receptor status (according to report) and both were 'High", 95% strong.  I had a modified radical mastectomy in other breast 22 years ago, no node involvement, reconstruction surgery as well. Not this time though.  BC does not run in my family.  Hope I will get some responses to this posting.  THANKS.
A small tumor is definitely better.  Estrogen and progresterone recptors mean that tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors will possibly be prescribed for you following surgery.  They should test the tumor for Her2 status.  Her2 is a gene present in a small percentage of tumors that makes even small tumors act aggressively.  Its presence usually indicates a need for more aggressive followup treatment than for tumors that are Her2 nagative.

I am thinking of you through your suegery this week and beyond.
Just sending my good wishes to you and hoping all goes well with your surgery! You sound like a very knowlegeable, positive and strong woman. You've been down this road before and seem to have done well, so I'm hoping the same this time. I'm sure it's really hard to have to go through it all again, but I'm a firm believer in the beneficial effects of a positive attitude on recovery. Hang in there, daydreamer55!
Please keep us updated if you wish. I'm thinking of you, too and sending a big hug (     ),
nc