Breast Cancer Community
lump in 9-year-old's breast (NOT the bud)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

My daughter is 9 years old (will be 10 in Sept.).  She is definitely developing breasts and has substantial breast buds.  Today she came to me (while I was mowing the lawn, of all times) and told me that she had a bump in her right breast that hurts.
I examined both her breasts and there is definitely a lump just above her right breast bud.  It is NOT her breast bud and it is only on the right side.  It's hard and painful for her.

I will be making an appointment to take her to the doctor first thing tomorrow morning ~ but does anyone know what this could be???
I think this bump may just be normal, if painful and scarely , breast development.
She may even have a cyst due to hormonal fluctuation and this may cause lumpiness and other changes in the breast. They usually come and go, and yes, at this stage the growing pains can be intense.

I do though think it is a good idea to take her to the doctor, and he/she can explain better what this is and reassure you and your daughter?

Please let us know what the doctor says?

Your daughter most definitely doesn't have cancer at this age.  Katrin
Apparently my daughter is developing on one side more/faster than the other ..... and she's developing fibercystic breast tissue.  The doctor thinks this is what the lump is, anyhow.  They're going to watch it closely.

:-)