Breast Cancer Community
lump in breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lump in breast

i recently had an ultrasound done on my right breast because of a small lump at the side which was causing me some pain.the doctors told me it looked like a small fibroadenoma bout 9mm they then did a core needle biopsy by hand when the results came back i was told they do not know for sure if it is a fibroadenoma but it was a benign and showed nothing cancerous. so ive been given three choices one to repeat the biopsy under ultrasound two to leave the lump alone or the last choice which they do not recomend as it it only small is to have it removed. please can someone who as had somthing similar give me sum advice because i was thinking of havin it removed has i dont like it been there and it does give me pain it also scares me as they do not know if it is a fibroadenoma and i dont really want to have an another biopsy has it is not granted to be 100 percent at showing what the lump is and the pain from last one was bad without repeating it thank you for any advice you can offer  kayx
Hi, Kay,
I've had two fibroadenomas removed and I'm really glad I did. With each, when the lump was found, excisional biopsy was offered as a choice and that's what I chose. My rational was that if it was BC, I'd have to have surgery again and I only wanted to go through that once. One was palpable and just removed. The other was found on mammo and US and I had a needle loc under US, then the excision.The wait for the pathology report after the surgery was the worst part of the whole experience.The surgery wasn't bad at all and recovery was really fast (I went dancing the night after the first one!) and more just soreness and bruising than real pain. Everyone's experience and tolerance level is different, I know. I just feel much better knowing those lumps were benign and are out. For me, the "what ifs" are way worse than knowing what is, but it's your body and your decision. Please just feel comfortable in telling your doctors how you feel, and don't hesitate to change doctors if you don't feel comfortable with them.
I've found most doctors are caring and concerned but maybe I've been luckier than many.
In any case, I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do and hope for benign results for you.
Hugs,
nc
I don't quite understand why the biopsy wouldn't have been more definite as to the true nature of the nodule. IF you have been given the choice and removal was one of the options then why not choose that? I would think this would be a surgical procedure with some type of anesthesia but done as an outpatient. If the biopsy was done with no type of guidance then I'm not sure how one could be sure that such a small finding was actually sampled. Some type of local anesthesia is routinely used with all biopsies so I don't undertand why yours should have been so painful. If you don't mind the invasive surgical procedure then by all means have it removed even if it is rather small.   Regards ....
Since it is causing you pain, get it out so that you feel better.
Hi, Kay,
Hugs,
nc
thank you all for your comments .the lump does cause me pain but it comes and goes the biopsy i had the doctor did by hand and the lump was moving so he could not be precise as to its location and it started bleeding so he could only take two core samples they usually take more.
could anyone tell me if they have had any fibroadenomia removed did you still have pain after has some of you know i have wat they think is one and its only 9mm. im thinking of having it removed because i do get some pain with it but my doctor told me the lump is not causing the pain its my hormones and if i have it removed i will still get pain. just wondered if anyone knows how true this is thank you for any advice you can give me.kay x
I wouldn't say that hormones directly cause the pain BUT the formation of cysts and fibroadenomas is said to be related to the hormone levels in the body. The intermittant pain or discomfort or breast tenderness is related to hormonal levels. I think what you Dr. was trying to get across to you was that #1 as a rule there is no need to remove a fibroadenoma unless they become very large and #2 you may still experience some discomfort in the breast even after this small (0.3 in.) fibroadenoma is removed. It would of course be your decision.  Regards ....