Breast Cancer Expert Forum
lump in left breast have a red itchy rash also, tenderness

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

i have a lump in my left breast and now i have a red itchy rash, discovered the lump a couple of months ago. my breasts have been getting sore during menustration and normally they do not. this has been going on for about six months. i do not have insurance and limited funding so i need some kind of input. there is no history of breast cancer in my family however my uncle died in 2003 of lung cancer at the age of 43 and my grandmother died of the same kind of cancer this past january so cancer in itself has been in my family. i do not want to be too alarmed but i have been worrying about it because i recently had pneumonia and i have never gotten it before.  i do smoke and have smoked for almost 20 years off and on but mostly on so i am sure that played a role in that. i have been experiencing chest pains or more like shoulder pains, can't really distinguish the pain not sure what that is about. the lump is located near the top of my armpit, almost missed it. anyway would appreciate a response as soon as possible.  thank you  
Dear hillbilly01:  Without evaluation, including clinical breast examination (and likely mammogram and/or ultrasound) it is impossible to speculate on what this might be.  Skin on the breast is like skin anywhere else on the body and is subject to a variety of abnormalities.  The only way to sort through both the lump and the rash is to have it evaluated by a doctor.  
If these changes you have been experiencing are only on that one side, or in that one breast, I would take your symptoms very seriously and go to a doctor. I understand about the insurance and don't know how to take this into consideration, but check if maybe there are possibilities for low, or no cost, exams. I mean, I know there are but I would not be able to tell you how to go about finding them.  Best, Kat