Breast Cancer Expert Forum
lump that is leaking

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

lump that is leaking

My mom is 62yrs old. She has a lump under her breast that she has had for two years. Now, it is leaking a clear/bloody, nasty smelling drainage. She is going to see doctor today. But, she has not told anyone about the lump until the leaking started. Her mom died from breast cancer. My question is could this be breast cancer? I have not really heard anything about the lump leaking fluid before. She said the lump is bigger than a quarter and is now painful to lay down. Any help is much welcome........
Dear AngelaMarie:  There is a possibility that this is breast cancer, especially if it has been getting larger for the last two years.  There is also a possibility that this could be an abcess (abscess) but one would think that she may have had other symptoms as well.  She is doing the right thing now by going to the doctor.