Breast Cancer Expert Forum
lump under left breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

lump under left breast

My Son noticed a lump under his left nipple a few weeks ago.
I thought it would go away however it didn't so our doctor examined him and did an ultra sound.

The findings were a small hard lump. we were referred to a surgeon and he has scheduled surgurey to remove it in 2 weeks.

Since my visit I have been online educating myself on this subject. Should we hold off on removing it for a few months to see if it goes away (as some have that I read about) or should we be on the safe side and have it removed immediately.

My son is terrified to be operated on and in all operations regardless of seriousness there can be risks.

Please help me find peace of mind.

Thank you.
Dear 14 year old son:  Whether or not to operate depends, in part, on the level of concern on the part of the surgeon.  Without evaluating the lump ourselves, we cannot speculate on whether surgery should be done now or whether it is safe to monitor the lump for a period of time.  If you are concerned, you can seek the opinion of a second surgeon to see if there
is agreement.
hello,

My 19 year old son has a large lump under his arm. It is about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide... A few years ago I took him to the doctors and they said there was nothing wrong that it was a swallon lymph node.. They said that it will go away, well it didn't I kinda didn't think anything of it until the other day when he took a shower he came out and lifted his arm to scratch his back. I saw the lump and he said it has always been there and that it doe's not hurt at all. I make an appointment but wont be seen until next week. Any idea's what it could be? Everywhere I look online is bringing me to cancer sites... Any info would be greatly appreciated
in a 14 year old, it's nearly certainly gynecomastia, which is enlargement of male breast tissue. It's very common around that age, and usually goes away. Ultrasound is, as you found, useless: it merely tells what you already knew. There's a lump. The reason to remove it is, mainly, if the kid who has it is so concerned that he wants it out. Otherwise, there's almost never a reason to do so. You should be sure you understand exactly why the surgeon thinks it ought to come out, and if it's not convincing, you could get another opinion. The good news is that the surgey is very minor and low risk, and if done properly is very unlikely to leave any noticeable disfigurement.
I am 15 years old and I have the same lump as the 14 year old, but in both nipples. I have had these for about 4 to 6 months and they have not yet gone away. My brother had them as well, but they went away after about two months for him. Im am almost positive it is not breast cancer but i can't be sure. Should I wait a little bit longer to see if they go away or go get them looked at?
A related discussion, 12 year old male breast cancer was started.