Breast Cancer Community
lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lump

hi im 21 years old and i have found a lump on right breast i when in for an ultra sound and they said if was abnormal and it was sold tissue. i have no history of breast cancer in my family and I'm so young what could it be ? they said it was not a cyst please help me because the not knowing killing me
The majority of breast tumors detected by mammography or ultrasound are non-cancerous especially at your young age..
This lump could be a Fibroadenoma which is a benign breast tumor that may appear at any age,but they are more common in women in their twenties and thirties.These benign lumps,are not related to breast cancer in any way and are known to increase in size and tenderness in relation to the menstrual cycles due to hormonal changes.
You don't say what your radiologist/doctor has recommended in your case and what is your BIRADS score assigned on your Ultrasound report.
BI-RADS (Breast Imaging Reporting and Data system),is a system which indicates the radiologist's opinion about the findings.Understanding this score is important to your diagnosis and treatment,if any is needed.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the number the more suspicious is the abnormality.For example if the score is 2,it means benign.
A score 3, means probably benign and the abnormality needs to be rechecked as scheduled by the radiologist.A score 4,the lesion needs to be biopsied because it's suspicious and the tissue has to be examined by a pathologist for a correct diagnosis.
Please,discuss your results with your doctor to make sure you understand what it means and if further investigation is needed.
Hoping that you have nothing to worry about.
Best wishes....
For breast health women should be taking iodine supplements. A usual supplement for a smallish woman would be 2 drops of Lugol's 5% solution a week (taken on different days). Larger women would require 3 or 4 drops. If only Lugol's 2% is available, appropriate adjustments would be made..