Breast Cancer Community
lumpectomy and removal f 4 lyphnodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lumpectomy and removal f 4 lyphnodes

I had surgery 11 days ago and thought I was healing well. Five days ago the surgeon looked at my incision and removed  sutures. She said it looked good and said follow up with my doctor. I have an appt. tomorrow afternoon but yesterday my side and arm started to swell ALOT. I put Ice packs on it through the day and night. Just about an hour ago I felt like the side of me was wet. I went to bathroom and lifted my arm to see and liquid squirted out of my incision like someone turned on a faucet. I have soaked through 2 large towels and it is still running down. It looks clear with a yellowish tint to it. My surgeon never said anything like this could or would happen. It is night here now and my question is will I be ok until tomorrow afternoon when I have a doctors appt? And is this normal?I am scared to death but I have a sick little boy home with me right now and don't want to drag him out of house if I will be ok for the night.
It will be OK until your appointment tomorrow ... this is most likely due to the development of a seroma that would have drained anyway even if the sutures were not removed. This only made it easier for the fluid to be expelled and I'm sure relieved some of the swelling that you mentioned. A seroma will often form .. a sac containing the type of fluid that you have mentioned. When a space is created by the removal of some tissue, mother nature will fill it with something .... serum. This may continue to be produced until the two surfaces of the tissue have "stuck" together and sealed off this vacant space. Drains are often placed so that this drainage can take place and prevent the accumulation of the fluid which produces the swelling. I too am surprised that your Surgeon didn't mention the possibility of this but with a minor type of surgery (lumpectomy) this doesn't always occur. With Mastectomy it's routine for the most part. Ice won't help so I wouldn't bother with that but keep something CLEAN over the area to collect the fluid. Evidently there is a place along the suture line that hasn't healed completely so be very careful so as not to cause an infection of the area. Some type of sterile dressing would be good but if that isn't available then perhaps a sanitary pad would be a good substitute ... they are wrapped and very clean. Please do keep your appointment tomorrow and you might call and get in a bit earlier if possible. Good luck .... it may take some time for the fluid to stop being produced so don't expect an immediate solution.   Take care ....
Thank You so much. That is such a relief to know that I am OK. I will absolutely follow your advice and again THANKS FOR THE PEACE OF MIND :)
Let me know what the Dr. says tomorrow ... it's a shame that we are sometimes not as informed as we should be so there are no surprises but things that don't always happen are hard to foresee. Take care ...