Breast Cancer Community
lumpectomy for DCIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lumpectomy for DCIS

I had breast surgery 9/10/10 and I am wondering why my BS did a reexcision for DCIS in right breast but did'nt remove a sample of the underarm nodes. She must have felt it was not necessary (?) but it seems like a lot of woman also have that area excised. My incision is an inch long around the nipple and is quite sore. I'm waiting for the pathology report and pray the margins are clear. Thanks for any help you can give as I'm feeling very fragile!
Tags: DCIS, surgery
You should ask your surgeon why she did the type of surgery that she did, because only she had all the test results.  However, looking at what you said, it seems to me that she was focused on checking one very small area.  To remove any lymph nodes would have been a much bigger or two incisions that she felt was unnecessary.  Waiting for results is so hard.  I am praying that you get good news.

Personally, my biopsy was large and removed a great deal of high-grade DCIS, but it wasn't until the report came back that there was still more along one margin, and it was comedo-type, that I opted for a mastectomy and had lymph nodes removed.  Because the biopsy was only a week before, two were enlarged, so my surgeon and I had previously decided that when in doubt, cut more, so I had 19 removed - all clean.  I chose well with the mastectomy because in my case, there was also a small tumor hidden away (5 mm), so I've done the chemo thing and am now getting back to normal.

Don't worry.  Right concentrate on comfort measures for the soreness and a little pampering.  Ok, maybe a lot of pampering, you deserve it.  When you get your pathology report, you will know what the next step will be and take it.  Hopefully, the next time we hear from you is to say, "All is well!"  We'll be here no matter what.  I am thinking of you.

What you say makes since, that the surgeon wanted to concentrate on the one area and felt it not necessary to do more extensive surgery. I'll be seeing her next week and can discuss it further. The results will be back then. I am doing what you suggest: concentrate on comfort measures and a lot of pampering.

Good thing you got rid of the the rest of the DCIS and hidden tumor, though I'm sorry you had to go through so much with chemo, lymph node removal and only a week between the surgeries. Thanks for your quick response and for your prayers & encouragement.  This web site has been very helpful since this all began. Best to you.