Breast Cancer Expert Forum
lungs

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

lungs
hi i have 2 chemos left then i have to start radiotherepy,my weak spot is my lungs ive always had asthma from a baby, will radiotherepy make asthma worse should i have it what are the benefits,im 44 had a lumpecomy it had spread to second layer of lymphnodes,but  not surrounding tissue around lump , its not oestrogen positive im premenopausal,whats the likely hood of me getting secondary lungcancer accoeding to your statistics , there is no breast cancer in family
thankyou
Dear frizz:  It is possible, with radiation therapy to the breast, to incur some lung damage, although it is rare.  It may or may not affect your asthma.  A secondary lung cancer (as a result of radiation therapy for breast cancer) is extremely rare.  I have never personally seen it.
Frizz - Check and see if IMRT (I think it stands for "Intense Modulated Radiation Therapy) is at the place where you will be having radiation.  It is a much smaller beam of radiation; thus, avoids hitting major organs such as the lungs, heart, thyroid, etc.  It specifically targets the area where the tumor was and a small area around it.  Also, if you do have to go the other route, I spoke to my old boss (pulmonologist) and he said in at least 10 to 12 years, he has not seen a case of irradiated lungs due to radiation therapy for breast cancer - they are very careful.
Twocapes
hi wow many thanks for that you have put my mind at rest,i was considering not having it done, im from england i doubt whether they have IMET but i will ask, thankyou do you know any good radiotherpey sites i can link to to get more info thanks once again