Breast Cancer Community
lymph node biopsy complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lymph node biopsy complications

Does anybody know if axillary lymph node biopsy (I only had one or two removed) can cause pain and swelling and mild contour shapes in the breast on that side?
Any time the lymphatic system is compromised / interferred with, the flow of lymphatic fluid can be compromised also which may cause a swelling below that area. You might want to have this investigated by either your Dr. or a Physical Therapist who is trained in the treatment of Lymphedema. You don't mention the time lapse between the removal of the nodes and the swelling and if the removal was very recent this might resolve itself on it's own but I'd still have it ck.d out.  Regards .....
Hi,when I had my lymph nodes removed for testing (2 of them) during my breast surgery, I had the same thing happened to me..As Japdip advised you, she advised me also, that the swelling would resolve by itself in due time..I also talked to my surgeon about it and she told me exactly what I was told by Japdip.So give it some time and the swelling will subside considerably.If this swelling is not because of a recent biopsy,then Lymphedema could be the culprit (I hope not).Best wishes and take care.
That is hugely reassuring.  The swelling started about 10 days after the axillary biopsy and has continued for about 6-7 weeks now.  Breast pain began about 10 days after the biopsy and worsened over 6 weeks, alarming me and sending me to all kinds of appts where I was told the axillary surgery should not have done that, or that it probably did (multiple docs, multiple opinions!), but the one I have not been able to see yet is a BREAST SURGEON.  I have an appt. next week, thank goodness.  

Zouzi were your axillary nodes removed and was the swelling in your breast?  How long did it take to resolve?  

Thanks to you both.
Yes, I had 2 nodes removed and a lot of swelling plus bruising...I don't quite remember the exact time it took to resolve,but it was long enough.. maybe 3 to 4 months.To see a breast Surgeon is the best choice you are making Wishing you good LUCK !!