Breast Cancer Community
lymph nodes in breast area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lymph nodes in breast area

I have a strong history of breast cancer (maternal). I recently had a mammogram and a subsequent sonogram directly after. A mass was detected in my lymph node. I was directed to the general surgeon, who put me on medication for a possible infection of the lymph node. My question is regarding his finding: He said that the lymph node enlargement was most likely related to my fingers. This is the first I have heard of this. Please explain to me this connection.
1 Comment
You are a step further than me.  I posted about a week ago about the very same thing.  I am scheduled to see a breast surgeon the very beginning of the year.  I, too, have 2 masses they specify as enlarged lymph nodes.  One is 1.3 and the other is 2.5.  You report that your surgeon put you on an antibiotic.  Did he do a blood count beforehand to determine if your white blood cell count is up?  How long are you on the antibiotic for?  I have frantically been looking for information on this as well, and have only come up with these masses relating to an infection, thus the nodes are enlarged because they are fighting toxins, or breast cancer or lymphoma.  I have read not a thing about fingers and any relation other than that sometimes the lymph nodes can enlarge due to a cat scratch fever on that extremity I suppose it could be on your fingers.  Are your lymph nodes tender to the touch?  Mine are not, which has me even more concerned.  I wish I could provide more information for you.  If I were seeing the surgeon tomorrow, I myself would ask the question for you.  Please let me know more... I would be happy to ask that question for you in the early part of January. We have history of cancer too.  My mother breast at 63 and my sweet father passed away of prostate cancer. So the history is there.  Best of luck, please let me know.