Breast Cancer Community
lymphadenectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

lymphadenectomy

I am 28 years old. Approx. 15 years ago I found a lump on my left armpit. It wasn't noticeable or bothersome for me until about a week before my menstrual period every month. During that time, the lump would get harder and the area would become very sensitive and uncomfortable and, at times, the lump would feel nearly rock hard. So, I had a lymphadenectomy - the results - benign. However, not only did the lump come back, but I developed one on my right underarm as well, maybe a few months, or a year later. Went to see a doctor at that time, who said it was most likely nothing to worry about (she didn't do any kind of testing though aside from feeling it...). I do remember the doctor telling me not to use deoderant, but can't recall what her reasoning was.
About a week ago (the week before my period), I noticed the area around the lumps became very sensitive and nearly rock hard again - I haven't had this issue in over 10 years, so, needless to say, I'm concerned. I haven't had any major health issues since my lymphadenectomy and I'm relatively healthy. However, I did start using deoderant again within the past month... sounds ridiculous, but maybe this has something to do with it?
Any thoughts before I go see a doctor would be greatly appreciated - I'm very concerned...
1 Comment
It could be some sort of reaction in the lymph nodes, the axilla which is one of the larger nodes in the body is in the armpit.  I don't use deoderant because I'm a cancer survivor with lymphedema, and some studies have shown chemicals in the axilla in the deceased and chemicals are not good.  It's rock hard, so the nodes are congested with fluid and fibrotic, I think you should see the doctor to rule out infection but possibly a lymphedema knowledgeable doctor due to the fact they are very familiar with the lymph system.  A lymphedema therapist can help soften the nodes and get you back feeling better not like a golf ball under your arms.