Breast Cancer Expert Forum
mammogram results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

mammogram results

Can you tell me how long it takes to get results regarding mammogram?  Do they not tell you right away in the office if the films look like there is something wrong?  When you get a mammogram done on your tram flap can it show problems.  Does it show false problems?
Dear Pattsy:  Getting the results from a mammogram varies from institution to institution. In general, when a screening mammogram is done, the technician will check to make certain that the film is of good quality.  It may not be read entirely until after the patient is gone.  If there is something of concern, some centers will give a call as soon as it is identified.  Most centers will send a letter in the mail within a week or two with the results.  A mammogram is done on a tram flap to look for any possible recurrences in the reconstructed breast area.  A mammogram is not a perfect test.  It can show abnormalities that turn out to be benign as well as those that are malignant.
Even if the images are under discussion you should be able to ask the reading radiologist to show you what she or he sees at the time of your visit.  I say, 'at the time', but I would rather sit for several hours and know where things stand, then wonder about the results.

You have a right to this information as soon as it is available, and there is little reason why this should not come directly from the radiologist that same day.