Breast Cancer Expert Forum
mammogram/sonogram concern

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

mammogram/sonogram concern

On Saturday I had a routine mammogram. I am 43. I have no history of breast cancer. I do take estrogen after a hysterectomy 2 years ago. This was my 3rd annual mammogram at the same hospital. I had the mammo and then the tech came in and asked to retake the left. She came in twice more for spot compressions on the left. Then she asked if I could stay for the radiologist to perform an ultrasound. I did. To my surprise the ultrasound was painful. The doctor finally showed me a spot that he was looking at in the fatty tissue. He said it was small about 1 1/2 centimeters. He felt after looking at the ultrasound that it was proabbly fluid filled and nothing to worry about. Probably internal bruising after bumping my breast? I sure don't remember doing that but I guess anything is possible. He said there was nothing there on any of the other films from the past 2 years. He said I should just come and be rescreened in 6 months.The thing that sort of bothers me is last year during my annual gyne exam my doctor spent a long time reexamining that breast because he thought he felt something but then decided it was ok. I don't feel anything. My husband thinks it is crazy to wait 6 months. My question is have you ever heard of this bruising, can you tell that on ultrasound, and should I be concerned/wait?

Thanks for your help.
Dear mrswillie:  Without reviewing your mammogram and ultrasound and doing a breast examination, it is impossible for us to speculate on what this is and what our recommendation would be.  Yes, it is possible to get a bruise but impossible for us to know if this is what this is.  If you are concerned, you could gather your films and get a second opinion at a different facility, possibly with a breast specialist.  These are often located at large academic medical centers.